Friday, September 07, 2007

SOLDIER



SOLDIER

Today I listened to an interesting podcast interview with portrait photographer Suzanne Opton. Her series of large scale images of our servicemen and women upon their recent return from deployment in Iraq and Afghanastan first hit me sometime last year, while I was still detoxing, er- decompressing, from my own time in the military.

She is exhibiting these images in a variety of contexts, besides in the white-walled gallery, including online and on roadside billboards in Buffalo, NY. These remarkable images speak in a soothing voice to the complexities of the human beings who are serving in life and death, a historical moment which we are far from through with. Generations will weep, these images may help my children's children to read their history books with some sense of reality.

Listen to interview here, part of Studio 360 weekly cast.

No comments: